Everyone who owns a Apple Watch and / or a iPhone, they will have noticed the app Activities, which monitors our statistics of movement, exercise and standing time, and integrates with the app Health.
But Apple went above and beyond, and in 2020 introduced Fitness +a subscription service with exercises, workouts and so on. But how Apple Fitness + works in 2022? In this article we will show you thingshow subscribe and how exploit it the various functions, even without Apple Watch.
What is Apple Fitness +
Announced in 2020 (coincidentally in full pandemic), but arrived in Italy in November 2021, Apple Fitness + (here you find our review) is a service of fitness And work out customized, subscription-based and designed to keep fit e specifically designed for owners of Apple Watch.
In fact, the service offers a wide range of exercises, workouts And meditations, led by instructors and divided into recorded sessions which you can reproduce on your own iPhone (here’s our iPhone 14 review, in case you missed it), iPad or Apple TV.
But why did we say you need a Apple Watch? Why, at least for some time yet, for access the service you must own a Apple Watch Series 3 or later. Apple then decided to change this rule, and in the fall an update will come that will integrate Fitness + into the Activities app (and that’s why we paired them in the introduction) in iOS 16 and will allow you to also activate it from iPhone.
With Fitness + we have therefore two types of functions: le workout routineand the activity monitoringwhich happens through Apple Watch.
Workouts, which last from 5 to 45 minutes, can be look at yourself on one of the Apple devices (also via AirPlay on Mac), and are divided into 11 categories: HIIT Cardio Workout, Yoga, Core, Pilates, Strengthening, Treadmill (Walk or Run), Bike, Rowing Machine, Dance and Mindful Cool Down (combining stretching with guided meditation).
The routines Fitness + are designed to be followed at home, with minimal equipment in most cases, and during a session, you can view in a corner of the screen heart rate and Activity rings, as well as the Apple Watch.
When you reach milestones like the closing a loop of activityan animation appears on the screen to keep you motivated, and you can too confront yourselves with other people who have previously exercised as part of a “Performance bar“to give you an extra boost. Also, during a particularly demanding session, you will see a countdown, so you know how much time you still have to sweat.
But Apple gave a little “flavor” to the service, so motivate you and don’t follow a workout in a monotonous way. First of all, the sessions are organized in series divided into “episodes”, and you can also choose between sections dedicated to beginners, to people in old agepregnant women, new mothers, or winter sports.
As if that weren’t enough, you can follow the workouts of a specific instructorand match workouts to one music playlist of famous artists. The section is called “Featured artist“and includes the likes of Jennifer Lopez, Alicia Keys, but also K-pop stars like BTS or ABBA, all without necessarily subscribing to Apple Music.
Finally there are the series We walk and runaudio experiences on iPhone or Apple Watchto be listened to with Bluetooth headsets. Let’s walk is designed to encourage users to walk more often, and performed with famous people (from Prince William to actors or singers) who share stories, photos and music. Let’s run it is instead designed to motivate people to run, with paths of running popular in some of the most iconic locations in the world, such as Yellostone Park or Mexico City. In addition to these initiatives, Apple has also thought about people in wheelchairwith experiences Walk or Push and Run or Push.
Every week Apple adds new videos of workouts, contents e artists and, once you have completed at least three Fitness + workouts, you will receive personalized recommendations in the top of the app.
How to subscribe to Apple Fitness + and costs
Now that we’ve seen what Apple Fitness + is, let’s see how to subscribe.
We have already said that, for a few more months, it is necessary to have a Apple Watch Series 3 to be able to sign up, but once you have passed this step, you can use a iPhonea iPad or Apple TV to follow the training videos (although in this case you will not see the Activity metrics).
Devices supported by Fitness + are the following:
- iPhone 6s and later (with at least iOS 14.3, but iOS 15 is required for many functions)
- iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation and later), iPad Mini 4 and later, iPad Air 2 and later (with at least iPadOS 14.3, but iPadOS 15 is required for many functions)
- Apple TV HD and 4K (with at least tvOS 14.3, but tvOS 15 is required for many functions)
- AirPlay: compatible smart TVs, MacBook Pro and Air from 2018, iMac from 2019, Mac mini from 2020, iMac Pro and Mac Pro
Fitness + membership costs 9.99 euros per month or 79.99 euros a year. Anyone who buys an Apple Watch is entitled to 3 months freewhile if you already have an Apple Watch you are entitled to one month free.
For subscribe to Apple Fitness +, follow the steps below, from iPhone, iPad or Apple TV
- Open the app Fitness.
- Touch Apple Fitness + at the bottom of the screen.
- Touch Start.
- Tap the offer of free trial (one test per person or family).
- Log in with yours Apple ID and the relative password.
- Check your billing information and add a valid payment method.
- Touch Subscribe.
How to use Apple Fitness +
Now that we have signed up for Apple Fitness +, let’s see how start a workout. If you have just started and have not yet completed three sessions, you will not have the i tipswhich instead will appear later.
As we saw in the previous paragraphworkouts can also be projected on smart TV or Macs that support AirPlay, but unfortunately Fitness + does not support a two-person workout. So in case you are in company, the second person will not see their metrics on the screen.
Fitness + however it supports FaceTime And SharePlay, then you can carry out distance training with your contacts, as long as both are members of Fitness +.
- On iPhone, open the app Fitness and touch the panel Fitness +, while on iPad or Apple TVopen the app Fitness.
- Select a type of training.
- Tap or select the button Filter.
- Touch an option filter to narrow the search for the type of workout you want to perform
For each workout, you can:
- Tap or select Preview to watch a preview of the training, where the instructor gives an overview of the training structure, the playlist and the objectives to be achieved.
- Save a workout by tapping the button add on iPhone or iPad, or by selecting Save Workout (Save Workout) on Apple TV. To access your saved workouts, scroll to My workouts at the bottom of Fitness +.
- Consult the music playlist intended for training. If you have an Apple Music subscription, tap or select Listen on Apple Music to add the playlist to Apple Music.
Starting a workout
At this point you are ready for start a workout.
On iPhone And iPad:
- Touch Let’s begin!
- Tap the button Play to view the metrics of yours Apple Watch on the screen.
- Pause and resume training as needed on your device or Apple Watch.
At the end of the workout, you can consult the training metricsincluding complete training time, average heart rate, active calories burned, total calories burned, and more, or start a training session Conscious cool-down.
On Apple TV is a little different, in that
- Open the app Fitness.
- Select your account name. Select Other if you are not signed in with the primary account and the Apple Watch is not paired with the Apple TV. To match theApple Watchopen the app Work out on your watch and enter the code displayed on your Apple TV.
- Locate and select your workout.
- Select the button Play to view Apple Watch metrics on the screen.
After that, you can manage everything from Apple Watch as for iPhone or iPad.
Each video Fitness + includes three different coaches on the screen at the same time and at least one of these coaches will perform a “modified” version of the workout, easier or less tiring, as well as being able to select the duration of the workout.
If you are a beginner, Apple has added one video series 10 to 20 minutes with a only instructor and provide instructions on the configuration equipment or how to perform a particular exercise.
As we said in the first paragraphFitness + videos are set to tracks extracted from Apple Musicwhich can also be heard by non-Apple Music subscribers, but in case you are you can download playlists to listen to them even outside of Fitness +.
Apple every week adds new videos with goals to keep you motivated, and at regular new intervals Artists or famous people for the sessions Let’s walk And Let’s run.
How to use Apple Fitness + without Apple Watch
As we have already said at the beginning, for a few more months you will need a Apple Watch to activate the service Fitness +, but from this autumn an iPhone (with iOS 16) will be enough.
That said, once activated the service you can very well follow the training sessions even without Apple Watch.
To use Apple Fitness + without an Apple Watch, select the workout you want to do as you normally would and tap Let’s Get Started!
When the app detects that there is no Apple Watch within range, it will warn you. To proceed anyway, tap Continue without clock. The workout will start, but you won’t see details like heart rate And calories on the screen. This is possible with iPhones and iPads, while an Apple Watch is required with Apple TV.
#Apple #Fitness #Works #SmartWorld